Low-Rent/Mortgage Living

I ran into an interesting post on positivesharing.com related to low-rent living and the advantages thereof. For those of you that don't know what low-rent living is, here is my definition:

Finding a place to live that will result in a housing ratio of less than 28%. The housing ratio is calculated by taking the monthly rent/mortgage payment and dividing by gross monthly income.

My current housing ratio is about 13%. Mind you, I had to make some trade offs to get to this figure. I live about 50 miles outside of Washington, DC. There is no nightlife to speak of where I live. There aren't even any good restaurants. The upside? I can afford to travel and am no longer stressed about my finances.

Anyway, here are the top 10 advantages to low-rent living according to positivesharing.com:

1: Freedom to leave a bad job

2: Freedom to take a chance

3: Freedom to do what I enjoy

4: Freedom to do what’s right

5: Freedom to work less hours

6: Freedom to say no to some customers

7: Peace of mind

8: Focus on what really matters
When I’m not concerned with a bigger home, bigger car or bigger TV I focus on what really matters. My girlfriend, family, friends, business, writing, networking, learning, reading, etc… I waste no time keeping up with the Joneses.

9: Simple living

10: More money for fun stuff

Please see positivesharing.com to read the details for each of the 10 items. I included number 8 in this post because it is so important - Do not waste time trying to keep up with the Joneses!




Technorati tags:
, , ,

Comments

Unknown said…
This is exactly what my wife and I did and it is wonderful. I couldn't have imagined how much easier it is to Live when my rent is only 18% of my monthly income. Much better than the situation I was in before, where my mortgage payment went up every month (gotta love those exotic mortgages).

Popular posts from this blog

Capital One Credit Card Late Fees

How to configure aplus.net email for Outlook in Office 365

Michael A. Alao, CPA, CFE, Attorney at Law - Bio